Tuesday 27 April 2010

Psychology in Photography

There's another student in my Photography class looking into Psychology for her Final Major Project- she's currently consentrating on Schizophrenia, and the differences between sanity and insanity. We were discussing today how we'd both had trouble producing any actual *images* for our project as of yet- because Psychology is concerning the mind, rather than reality. It cannot *be* photographed in the same way as other things. This is a limitation of using photogtraphy rather than, say, painting, or drawing, which are much easier ways of expressing something that isn't physically there.
I've come to the conclusion that I will have to photograph... whatever takes my fancy.. even if at the time of photographing I don't feel it is relevant, or else I will get too bogged down on relevance, and never produce any work. After taking the photos, I will attempt to brainstorm from the contacts, in order to push my ideas forwards. This is not how I usually work, and I may find it difficult. To help me, I will continue to research artists and psychology, in order to inform my brainstorming.

No comments:

Post a Comment